Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Darn Wheat

Wow, time goes fast. I can't believe how long it's been since I last blogged. I thought it had only been a week and a half. Everyday as I go about my business I think "I need to blog about this, or I have to remember that for my blog". But for some reason it hasn't been happening. I feel like I have so much going on in my head that I can't keep my thoughts straight and don't even know where to start!

So what am I thinking about right now? I've been having self control issues lately when it comes to wheat. I'm slightly allergic to it, and I know refined carbohydrates are not good for me. I have successfully cut it out of my diet previously, but can't seem to do it right now. I have an undergraduate degree in nutrition and I'm halfway through my masters. I know all the biological responses that happen when I consume a food I am allergic to. I know the specific way my body responds. I know if I cut out wheat I won't be congested in my head and I'll lose weight. I also have studied the psychology behind food cravings and the stress it creates to cut specific foods out of the diet. I am also currently writing an essay for class about why carb and sugar preferences are biological and a protective mechanism from back in the day when we used to forage our food. I also know so many alternatives to wheat and living in Seattle the selection is wide!

If I know so much about it, why am I having such a hard time cutting it out? I know if I just do it for a few weeks, I will barely crave it anymore. I got through the whole day today without wheat and then my sister made pizza tonight. Homemade pizza with fresh dough and veggies by a fantastic chef. How could I resist?

How am I supposed to be a successful nutritionist if I can't even control my own cravings? Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment